Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Orruk armor tutorial

Since their new battletome has come out I've gotten back into painting my Ironjawz. I finally realized that I have been playing with mostly unpainted models all this time. I decided on a color scheme and theme back when I got them and finished a handful of them, but then went on to something else, as I usually do. So now I am going back and finishing some more. I have developed a new armor formulae that I like better than my original one, which was a little dark.

This was my original brute color scheme. I was going for a lot darker armor at the time, but when I painted one again I like the result of the new formulae better.



 This is the new armor, and my new basing. I think it looks a lot better.

The result was pretty popular and I decided to make a small tutorial for anyone who is interested in doing something similar. Its super simple and only requires three "paints."
I use a lot of these. I have already had to buy the Oiled Earth three times because I use it so much.
First I painted the silver over the black undercoat. One coat did it and the paint is for airbrushes so there was no need to thin it.

After the silver dried I used a large brush and covered the silver in undeluded Oiled Earth wash.

After the Oiled Earth dried I used the same large brush to apply a Black wash. One trick I used here was after I applied the Black wash I used my finger to wipe off the black in raised areas in a similar manner to dry brushing. This technique looks best with a matte finish applied after.

6 comments: